Obesity has been in the news recently and how to combat the growing issue of the ongoing cost to the National Health Service. Physical activity is vital to the development of young people, fostering their physical, social and emotional health. The benefits of sport reach beyond the impact on physical well-being and the value of the educational benefits of sport should not be under-estimated.
An early love of sport can become a life mantra and ensure a healthy and happy outlook especially in these worrying days of childhood obesity, so why not inspire your students by a visit to one of the iconic sports stadiums that now offer Educational Trips to students of all ages.
Go behind the scenes at Arsenal Football Club on an unforgettable tour of Emirates Stadium. Take your seat in the changing room, walk down the players tunnel, sit in the dugout and imagine the roar of 60,000 fans. Tours open daily. Learn about the history of one of the most successful football clubs in the world and how Arsenal shaped the game of football as we know it today. Self-Guided Audio Tours allow visitors to explore behind the scenes at Emirates Stadium at their leisure.
The Kia Oval is one of the world’s most iconic sports grounds. Learn what goes into hosting an International sporting event and how professional sportsmen get themselves match-ready. They can tailor a trip suitable for all ages including topics on: History, Geography, Science, Art & much more! Royal affinity to HRH Prince of Wales, the birthplace of cricket’s Ashes and host of football’s first FA Cup Final make the ground unique. Their 90-minute guided experience will allow guests to peek behind the scenes and see the inner workings of this impressive stadium and gain a deeper insight into how players and staff prepare for each match. Each experience will include a guided tour.
The World Rugby Museum’s interactive galleries encourage participation at all levels of the game and give younger visitors the opportunity to:
• Take up the challenge of discovering “What Kind of Rugby Player Are You?” in the Play Rugby Zone
• Commentate on a classic match in the Commentary Booth including the moment England won the RWC 2003.
• “Choose your own World XV” interactive
• Sing-along to rousing rugby union national anthems.The World Rugby Museum is the definitive home for everything and anything about rugby.
To learn more about our health a visit to the iconic Thackeray Medical Museum in Leeds is an interesting and informative Museum with plenty of hands on exhibits. Currently about to undergo a £3.7m project, A Healthy Future that will transform the museum experience for current and new audiences, as we become a venue for creativity and cultural activity focussed on medicine, history and health.
The project will:
- Create innovative and engaging visitor experiences to excite, entertain and educate people with the history of medicine and its contemporary and future practice;
- Engage people through contemporary stories and issues, using our collection objects, and opportunities to talk to medical practitioners;
- Provide more opportunities for medical professionals to support hands-on learning activi-ties, visitor participation and debate;
- Offer learning for everybody by providing a safe and trusted space to explore and under-stand the history and science of medicine