Thorney How, Grasmere is an Independent Hostel that provides the perfect base from which to explore the many and various aspects of Cumbria. In a stunning location surrounded by fells, with Helm Crag, Easedale, Helvellyn, Fairfield and Wainright's Coast to Coast path literally on our doorstep this is the perfect location for any outdoor adventure.
Grasmere is at the very centre of the Lake District National Park, midway between Windermere and Keswick with good transport links to other Lake District towns, villages and attractions.
A family owned independent 3 star Hostel that was previously owned and managed by the YHA from the 1930's for over 80 years. Independent for over 2 years, Thorney How now offers excellent quality full or part catered accommodation, with superb facilities for groups of up to 46. It is the perfect base for educational, outdoor activity or other development based visits to the Lake District National Park.
• Comfortable, spacious and warm rooms with 2, 4, and 6 beds.
• Large dining room with bar, 5m wide cinema screen and log burning stove. Seating for 40+
• Separate smaller lounge with TV / DVD (often used as a staff base), seating for 8+
• Large open plan reception space with relaxed seating and free wifi, seating for 18+
• Fully equipped self-catering kitchens suitable for smaller groups, preparing hot and cold drinks or packed lunches.
• Outdoor seating areas with great views
• Private parking (please note: there is a limitation for vehicle sizes passing through Grasmere village)
• Free WiFi in all social spaces.
• Spacious drying room
• Central heating and hot water included, no shower charges!
• All bedding provided, beds made up on arrival
• Secure Bike Store and bike washing facilities, bike hire also available.
• Electric bikes and Electric car charging points.
• Full breakfast or contintental style breakfasts available
• 2 or 3 course evening meal options / BBQ's / all dietary requirements will be taken care of.
• Packed lunches, light lunches, afternoon teas as required.
• Fresh coffee and tea always available.
• All meals are freshly prepared using locally sourced fresh ingredients.
• Exclusive use options are available for the duration of your stay including daytime access if required.
From Grasmere you can access any part of the Lake District and explore literature, art, heritage, ancient monuments, industrial history, geography. We have good links with many local providers including working with the Wordsworth Trust, Forest School's, Outdoor Challenges and more.